Ci has let users subclip with our RoughCut app for years but now we’ve taken it to the next level. With this latest release, Ci empowers users to create clips directly from the preview player and export to a standard mp4 format or your own custom defined formats. Contact our customer success team to define your own output profiles today!
Hello, Smarter Workflow!
Need a clip prepared for social media? No problem. Want to download a small portion of the footage instead of the whole file? Check! Ci’s new Smart Clipping functionality enables a new world of workflow efficiencies.
Here are just a few examples of how this new feature can supercharge your daily routine:
- Empower social media teams to grab only what they need without slowing down your production or tech ops team.
- Save download time (and reduce expense) by only downloading the segments of the footage you need.
- Archive EVERYTHING in the cloud. Then, achieve a powerful partial restore process by combining Ci’s expedited restore functionality (which restores archived content in less than 5 minutes) with Smart Clipping. This winning duo will enable your media organization to always respond quickly while staying on budget.
- Transcode to your heart’s content. No need for transcoding farms or additional services – Ci can create the formats you need. Ci can even do same-as-source clipping for certain professional formats which means your files will be ready in a jiffy.
- Send specific reference files to your vendors and colleagues. Let Ci create the file in the right format and burn in specific watermarks just for them.
Let us know how you might use it. We love hearing your feedback!
Did you know that every location your content gets copied to is another location that needs to be secured? Don’t forget to tell your favorite security champion how you’re protecting the company by using Ci to limit the number of stops along your workflow journey!
How to Create Clips in Workspace
To create a clip in Workspace, simply select the video you want to clip from and press the play button. Select the scissor icon in the player controls to launch the clipping tool.
Simply drag your mark in and mark out points in the timeline and click the blue checkmark to create your clip!
Clips can be named and saved as a new file or an element of the source file. If you select to “Save clip as an element of this (source) file”, your clip can be found in “Customer Elements” in the File Elements tab.
Our clipping tool enables you to easily create “handles” to extend the mark-in and mark-out points of the clip you selected. Your editors are going to love you for this.
If your source file has rich custom metadata attached, you don’t want to lose that information when you create your clip. Simply select “Copy custom metadata from source to clip” to ensure your metadata is carried over to your new clip.
Clips created in Workspace are saved as H264 mp4 files by default. However, you can set-up custom transcoding profiles to render clips in any format of your choice. Contact our Success team to learn how to set up target profiles to your Ci account.
For a step-by-step guide on how to create clips in Ci, check out our clipping user guide.
ICYMI: Improved Preview and Player
Have you noticed how slick our Ci preview experience is but couldn’t quite put your finger on it? Here’s a quick summary of the improvements we’ve made to our Ci player in recent months.
Playback speed controls
By popular request, we’ve added speed options to our video player. Speed options are 0.5x, 2x, 4x, 8x and 16x.
Keyboard shortcuts for playback
Also added by request from hotkey enthusiasts, Ci now supports the following keyboard shortcuts for quicker playback control.
- Pause: K
- Fast forward: L
- Previous frame: K+J or ←
- Next frame: K+L or →
- Play / pause: spacebar
Enhanced Image Support
If you felt that image preview got bigger, you’re not imagining things – the default preview image size is now 2000px.
With the introduction of this larger preview, we also added a thumbnail navigation panel so you can zoom in or out and pan across the thumbnail to preview your image in better detail.
You can zoom up to 400% or simply select ‘fit to (window) width’ or ‘fit to height’ to quickly pick a fit that works best for your screen size.
To open zoom options, simply click on the magnifying glass in the left corner of the preview area.
Stay on top of Ci product updates!
Improvements, bug fixes, and new features are released to Ci all the time. Be sure to check out our Product updates log to stay on top of the latest updates.
The Ci Team